Friday 10 July 2015

10th July


Nice and sunny but the blazing NW wind remained all day; chopping down trees all morning so it wasn’t until the afternoon that I managed to get out but it was just the breeding birds of interest with a very young brood of fledgling Red-backed Shrikes at Bakkan, the Wryneck alarming at me, a brood of fledgling Whinchats at Vågsvollmarka and a couple more adult Red-backed Shrikes dotted around.

                The obvious days highlight came early evening when I stepped out to find a 1st summer FRANKLIN’S GULL in the field just in front of the carpark which had been cut earlier today, it showed brilliantly less than 20m away for a few seconds before flying off across the fields to another cut area and disappeared; it showed distantly again in flight before heading out over Vatnemarka and away – awesome double American Gull finding for me this year here!
 


Distant record shots of the Franklin's Gull - if I'd gone for my camera straight away instead of looking at it I could of got much better pictures of it on the deck!



Brilliant Red-backed Shrike fledglings

A different male Red-backed Shrike that doesn't belong to the fledglings
 

No comments:

Post a Comment