Monday 21 December 2020

17th December

 Right, my first blog entry for a while due to my laptop dying a couple of weeks before I was due to leave Sweden and then the two weeks quarantine period straight after I got back to the UK, during which (unsurprisingly) I didn't see very much as I was very good and didn't go out at all!

My first day of [relative] 'freedom' and of course the main port-of-call on this fine day was Chelmarsh Reservoir where it was a great few hours birding; the highlight was obviously the long-staying first-winter PIED-BILLED GREBE which showed well in the far NW corner by the causeway - it was found about three weeks ago, a first for Shropshire and handily waited for me to get back!

There was a good supporting cast which included a Great-northern Diver (also long-staying - the first I've seen here I think), a smart first-winter female Goshawk which flew along the south shore, at least 2 Kingfishers, a Green Sandpiper by the causeway, single Gadwall, Wigeon and Goosander and some good flocks of 65+ Chaffinches, 60+ Redwings and 25 Fieldfare.



Great-northern Diver


Terrible picture of the Pied-billed Grebe, it showed really well in the scope but not for the camera!


No comments:

Post a Comment