Tuesday 2 May 2017

NORTH RONALDSAY - 1st May


Still great conditions with a strong easterly wind and plenty of sunshine but unfortunately the wind direction meant that the Brides census route was pretty exposed and therefore quiet as birds included single Willow Warbler and Chiffchaff, 8 Swallows, 3 Carrion Crows, a Knot, 25 Sanderling, 4 Arctic Terns and a Great-northern Diver.

                I was dashing around all over the place in the afternoon, showing people the Red-winged Blackbird which was still present and following her favoured routine but I did manage to catch up with a good mix of migrants which were arriving throughout the day with the highlight certainly being an always awesome HOOPOE which was pretty mobile but I caught up with it near Nether Linney (a North Ronaldsay tick!)   Other birds included my first 2 Tree Pipits of the year at Trebb and Garso, my long overdue first Sand Martin of the year at Garso with 15+ Swallows, 3 Fieldfares, a Collared Dove, a few each of Willow Warbler and Chiffchaff, a Kestrel and my first Lesser Whitethroat of the year which I trapped at dusk.



Sanderling

Wheatear

Blackcap on the doorstep

Swallow

Great-northern Diver

and a better flight shot of the Red-winged Blackbird

No comments:

Post a Comment