Friday 27 January 2017

AUSTRALIA; 4th - 26th January


I basically went overland from Perth to Melbourne, mainly on a couple of non-birdy, organised tours; I was a very last minute addition on the tours (literally only a couple of days’ notice!) which meant I did no research on where we would visit – sites or habitats making it interesting in the fact that I couldn’t really predict what I would or could see and as I hadn’t really been along the south coast before there were some new birds for me along the way.

                On the downside though the highly-organised nature of the tours was often very frustrating for me as I couldn’t stop where and when I wanted and many times I had to fit in birding during brief sight-seeing / toilet / lunch stops but I can’t really complain (apart from just then!).

New birds for me:

WESTERN CORELLA – Quite a few seen in and around Perth.

Western Corella - Perth

MUSK LORIKEET – Common in towns and cities from Port Lincoln eastwards.

Musk Lorikeet - Adelaide

AUSTRALIAN RINGNECK – Common along the route in Western Australia and South Australia with both semitorquatus and zonarius races seen.


Australian Ringneck - Perth

ROCK PARROT – A pair were seen in Cape Le Grand National Park.

FAN-TAILED CUCKOO – Excellent views of a juvenile in Cape Le Grand National Park; a common bird I really should have seen in 2012.

BLUE-BREASTED FAIRY-WREN – Family groups seen several times along the way including in King’s Park, Perth.

Blue-breasted Fairy-wren - Perth

WESTERN GERYGONE – Several seen in King’s Park, Perth.

SLATY-BACKED THORNBILL – One seen at some roadhouse somewhere near the Nullarbor.

INLAND THORNBILL – A couple were seen at Wave Rock.

SOUTHERN WHITEFACE – A group were seen at Mikkira Station.

Southern Whiteface - Mikkira Station

LITTLE WATTLEBIRD – A couple seen at Fitzgerald River National Park.

BRUSH WATTLEBIRD – Another common bird that I should have seen back in 2012 but several were seen along the Great Ocean Road.

SPINY-CHEEKED HONEYEATER – Common in South Australia, with the first seen as soon as we crossed the boarder from Western Australia.

Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater - Flinders Ranges


WHITE-CHEEKED HONEYEATER – The dominant Honeyeater in and around Perth.



White-cheeked Honeyeater

TAWNY-CROWNED HONEYEATER – Seen at a few locations along the way, particularly common in Cape Le Grand National Park.

WESTERN SPINEBILL – Common within its range.

WESTERN WHIPBIRD – A pair were seen well, duetting at dusk in Fitzgerald National Park.

WHITE-BROWED BABBLER – Several noisy, inquisitive groups were seen well in the Flinders Ranges.

WESTERN YELLOW ROBIN – A pair were seen at Wave Rock.

CRESTED BELLBIRD – An immature male was seen well at Koonalda Homestead.

GILBERT’S WHISTLER – A female was at Mikkira Station.

SATIN BOWERBIRD – A couple of female types were seen at Kennett River along the Great Ocean Road; a bit of a surprise for me as they weren’t on my radar at all and I was stumped for a short while!

LITTLE CROW – Many seen along the way.

RED-EARED FIRETAIL – A pair ween well in Cape Le Grand National Park.



No comments:

Post a Comment