Monday 23 February 2015

TEXAS - 23rd February


A horrible, cloudy and wet day with a very cold, brisk wind didn’t encourage me to do much birding so I made today my main travelling day and l left the Rio Grande Valley and headed back north, back up to near Houston.   I stopped late morning at Choke Canyon State Park for a bit of walk round despite the unpleasant weather where there was a nice selection of the usual woodland birds including a Vermillion Flycatcher, Blue-headed Vireo, White-eyed Vireo, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Myrtle Warblers, Green Jays, Bewick’s Wrens, Blue-grey Gnatcatchers, Black-crested Titmouse and Ladder-backed and Golden-fronted Woodpeckers.   There was little on the bits of the windswept lake that I looked at with 2 Greater Yellowlegs and a handful of Killdeer of note.

                I got a motel in a town called Eagle Lake and a little walk in a park late afternoon in the still cold and drizzly conditions produced a big flock of Chipping Sparrows, a couple of White-throated Sparrows (the first I’ve seen since the first day) and a Brown Thrasher.

Vermillion Flycatcher



Black-crested Titmouse - really cool birds!

Blue-headed Vireo

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

No comments:

Post a Comment