Saturday 28 July 2018

NORTH RONALDSAY - 27th July


A funny day weather wise with a strong SE wind bringing mist and murk with a few spots of rain and thunder and lightning out at sea; two Green Sandpipers flew south along the coast at The Lurn first thing (my first on the island this year!).   After chasing sheep round Torness – three Whimbrel flew south, I walked around Brides and Hooking with the definite highlight being two cracking adult Roseate Terns on the rocks at Bridesness Point with c150 Arctics, I was watching one on the rocks just as another swooped in to mob me!

                Other birds included a decent spread of waders including 93 Sanderling, 180 Lapwing, 350 Golden Plover, 90 Dunlin and a tatty looking male Ruff at Hooking, a little influx of 22 Teal, the summer plumaged Great-northern Diver again and a few butterflies including three Painted Lady and my first Small Tortoiseshell of the year.






Roseate Terns

Sanderling

No comments:

Post a Comment